Sunday, July 23, 2017

First Post

I really don't know what will happen with this blog just like I really don't know what is going to happen each and every day in Asperia. You see I live with 3 Aspy children, one diagnosed along with ADHD, one in the process of being diagnosed and one undiagnosed but diagnosed with ADHD. And all suffering from anxiety. How did this happen? What did we do wrong? Yep, these are questions that regularly pass through the minds of my wife and I.

So as I say we never know what is going to happen from one day to the next. Well, I say that but really a number of things are virtually guaranteed. A phone call from school, at least one meltdown, several arguments of varying severity and a whole lot of worry.

I have been mulling over creating a blog for a while but have not really known when to start. A recent trip back home to the UK with my younger son? First week back at school for my eldest son and consequent suspension? Or the endless arguments between my daughter and her friends? But I have been keen to make this blog a positive experience, because who wants to sit and read me whinging about the shit that goes down in Asperia, right? Well let's face it there is going to be plenty of that but how about we start with a good day....... (its only 4.00pm, I don't want to tempt fate it could all go wrong yet. So let's say a 'good morning'.

To set the scene we were at our Sunday morning football matches (this is UK football or soccer as people call it in our home of Australia). Both the older two and myself play for a local club and I coach the eldest one's team. This season going to watch the kids play football has become a family event (much to the disgust of the youngest who wants to do nothing apart from watch Stampy videos on the ipad).  So what was so great about this morning? (Keep up at the back.....please remember I said 'good' and not 'great'. I don't want to go over board). Well, what was so good about today was that it felt like a morning of football in neuro typical land. A short holiday for us from Asperia and all its special attractions. Asperia is, as I am sure you have fathomed, taken from Aspergers which is a now somewhat outdated sub strand of Autism but to my mind the best descriptions of the goings on in my house. So with your blessing, I am going to continue to use it to name the world in which we make our home.

So this morning was a short but refreshing trip to what we imagine normality to be like. Although I also understand that normal worlds are inhabited by many of the things that we in Asperia like to call our norms. I know this because people tell me this often in an attempt to make me feel less like a tourist in a foreign land I suppose.

Anyway, the reason today was good was that both kids went to football played well, listened to their coach at half time and pre and post game, joined in with the other players, shook hands with the opposition. My eldest boy also scored a goal, won the game and sung the song in the circle with his arms around the rest of the team. This was all done with a minimum of bickering and fighting (mainly because we have just bought in new and tougher consequences whereby the scared screen time is diminished for such behaviour, and in Asperia nothing shall interfere with sacred screen time (yes, yes, I know just like in most houses).

Not the most devastating outcomes that humankind has achieved I will concede but here in Asperia mornings like these don't come along very often and should be cherished and celebrated (in our case with a chocolate bar and hot chocolate with squirty cream).

Farewell, for now, I am off to play Rocket League with my oldest.

Dadspie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Standing Alone Screaming

Frustrating few days in Asperia, culminating in yesterday when I felt like we were standing alone screaming into the ether. Our youngest Asp...